Monday, June 25, 2012

Good News and Bad News

Despite the suspense the title to this post might build, I don't have a whole lot to report. I do, however, have a couple pieces of news of both the good and bad varieties. We'll start with the good, since it makes the bad that much worse.

The Good: I've found another person who wants to read my book. He's right in my target audience too and I consider him a friend, but not too close of one that he will be afraid to offend me. I summarized the premise for him and he seems interested. I told him I would make him a copy this morning and bring it in to work tonight.

The Bad: My computer is dead. I know what you're thinking. If my computer is dead how am I typing this entry? I have two computers. My laptop is alive and well. The only problem is I never bothered to back up my book onto the laptop. Don't get too worried. My book isn't gone, never to return. I've backed it up on every single harddrive on my computer (there's 4 FYI), so the manuscript lives on. I just have no way to access it until I get my computer fixed.

That being said I'm fairly certain the problem is the power supply. I won't bore you with the tests I've conducted to diagnose the problem. Just suffice it to say I'm pretty tech savvy and am 80% sure that's the issue. The only problem is I'm a week out from payday (at least) and have no money to acquire the needed component. It's possible one of my readers (likely the guy who was halfway through it last time I talked with him) is finished with their copy and I can redistribute it, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll get with my third reader today and ask him to hold on. He's a friend so it won't be an issue.

Speaking of which, I got together with my other reader (the one who hadn't started it yet) and he still hasn't started it. He apologized, though he didn't need to, he just has so much that keeps popping up and he hasn't had any time for things like reading. I ran into his wife later on and she explained that the thing that kept popping up was Diablo III. Honestly, if I'm going to be put on the shelf for another pasttime, I'm fine with it being that one. They're going on vacation next week and he intends to read it on the plane ride.

This probably doesn't need to be said, but no word back yet from the agent.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment