Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Step #3


I left off my lost post hinting about the existence of Step #3. No, this blog isn’t Step #3. Nobody is reading it, and frankly nobody wants to read it as long as I am a miserable failure. This is more for the day that I do become published, and people who enjoy my work want to know more about me.

Step #3, quite simply, is self-publishing.

I know what you’re thinking. Self-publishing isn’t going to make me famous, and I am fully aware of that. Self-published books written by nobodies rarely gather any acclaim. I am sure there are success stories, but they are few and far between.

The key to my plot is that self-publishing isn’t my goal, it’s just Step #3 on a long list of steps. I’m not looking to shoot the moon with this. I only intend to distribute my novel in e-book format. It’s cheap and easy and provides very little risk to my reputation. After all, if I’m no good nobody will ever hear of me right? But if I do well, or at least well enough, I’ve got a valid publishing credit and some experience in publishing. On top of that, my book is designed to be the first of a series, so if it gets any kind of positive reception at all I can give it away for free and use it to gather buzz for the second novel.

That leads up to Step #3a. I can’t rely on agents/editors to read my manuscript now, so I have to turn to people I know. I tried giving my wife chapters as I was writing, and though she tried to be supportive she isn’t much of a reader, and certainly isn’t interested in any of the genres I write. I’m also pretty sure she won’t tell me if my writing is no good. I need people that I can trust, but that don’t have such a large bias/obligation to me.

Every so often I get to talking to people at work about the book I’ve written. Several of them have wanted to read it, but I’ve been hesitant to give it out. I suppose my fear stems from a lack of self-confidence. I’m terrified that my book is horrible and I’m the only one who can’t see it. I fear their judgment, and worse than that, I fear that I have no future as a published author.

I’ve had to put those worries aside. If I’m going to publish on any level I have to face my audience. I have printed out two copies of my book and given them to the more promising requesters. Both seem happy to view it, and both have promised to get back to me quickly.

I have, of course, assured them that I don’t expect them to do me any favors in that respect. I’m sure I’m imposing on them enough and besides, if my writing is horrible I don’t want to know about it any time soon.

In my next post I’ll tell you what they thought, and we’ll go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment